Protecing your son or daughter’s mental health

On Monday we addressed what to look for that may indicate someone is having mental-health problems and may be in need of help. Today, we offer advice on what you can do to help your children with these issues.

The Jed Foundation a national organization to help reduce the rate of suicide and occurrence of emotional distress among college students, has several resources for you.

If your son or daughter is already in college, the Jed Foundation suggests you:

  • Keep the lines of communication open. You may be the best one to know if your son or daughter is having a problem.
  • Know the signs and symptoms.
  • Encourage your son or daughter to go to the counseling center on his or her campus.
  • Assemble a list of people at your son or daughter’s college whom you can contact in case he or she has a problem.
  • Understand the circumstances under which college officials will contact you regarding your son or daughter’s mental health.

If your son or daughter is applying to college:

  • Think how well the college fits with his or her personality.  
  • Find out about the other support services the university provides.
  • Become aware of the mental health services offered at the prospective school, especially if he or she is already suffering from a problem.

If you have any questions, you can ask an expert at the Jed Foundation or read some of the questions other parents had and the answers they received.

Of course, as always, if you have any suggestions or advice just let us know.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s